Wednesday, June 01, 2005

books I've read this year (part one)



Weathercock by Glen Duncan

I picked this one up from the Library.
Seriously good disturbing paranormal, sexually morbid
British realism. For those that like desperately upsetting crashes from happiness to hell.



Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

Berlioz the poet recommended this to me.
The first half was good, but there is then a post coital comedown
I couldn't get past.



Texts of Taoism: v. 1 edited by James Legge
It has that I ching feel. Read it to understand yourself
through abstract parables about god knows what. Those chinese are
a weird bunch.



Authenticity by David Boyle
This started off promising, but it drifted into a justification
for caring capitalism. Snore.



Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda
This is a nice book. Very escapist. I found it in the street, thrown out in a box of old books. A good find. Much better than his "wow I took loads of peyote" books.



The R Crumb Handbook by Robert Crumb and Pete Poplaski
Picked this one up from the library. Great stuff.
I haven't bothered with the biographiocal sections.
It's all about the comics.

No comments: